Wing I Formation

CoachSpencer82

• 2 weeks later...

I remember talking to a coach about 10-15 years ago who based out of the I Wing.  

If I recall correctly he kind of based things around the Strong Side Toss and Strong Side Counter Trey.  

The Strong Side Toss was TB Toss, FB Down (Belly-G) and WB Counter Trey 

The Strong Side Counter was TB Counter Trey Strong, Trap Strong, Waggle Weak.  

I know there was probably more to that but those are the big things that I remember him saying.  

So fake TB toss and run FB belly, similar to Rocket Mo with Belly, like it.  I was studying a coach from New Mexico over the weekend, he ran some I-wing, his base is what he called Buck ISO, basically they get a kick from the SG, pull the QG and have the FB leading also, if they got strong A defender pre snap they pretty checked to power.  Also ran Belly (down) ISO with SG kicking and FB leading.

Over the years we've used the I-formation both as a pro-style offense and as part of the Jet offense's "formations, formations, formations" gimmick.  But if I'm being blatantly honest, I can't remember if it enhanced or hindered any of our Jet offense plays. We ran regular I formations, BUT also the Power-I formation a lot. We ran the normal I-formation plays you'd expect to see, Toss, Power, Power-O, ISO, split zone, zone lead, speed option, draws, HB trap, FB dive, FB counter trap, etc.  Bucksweep as a counter to the power-back in the Power-I sets. I think our best one was the F-counter, which we loved to boot off of, and we ended up keeping that play in the playbook as a counter in the Jet years too. We'd offset our FB's in the I, we'd use our TE as a wing and trade him, you can still do most of the formations and motions you want, but obviously one of your Jet motions would be from the flanker.  We had a pretty good FB counter trey off of TE crack-action to the weak side off of toss, and another FB counter weakside off of TE trade motion as a G-TE counter off O/S zone. Those were good because you just change the blocking scheme vs. who the LBers want to key.

Here this past year at SMSU we've run lots of 12 and 21 and had a pretty extensive Jet package as part of our offense. I sent some film to Coach E about it, I'd be happy to share that stuff with anyone else who wanted it too if there's people out there dabbling in both prostyle personnel groupings and winger X's and O's. We did all the things a wing-lover would do; shifts, motions, unbalanced formations, and ran lots of Jet... at least early on in the season.