Jet Belly

coachmot

Coaches I'm wondering if there are any other ideas for our Jet Belly.  We've ran it for years and it was a great play for us but I feel like teams have really started shutting it down the last couple years.  I feel like they are reading our slot back.  If he reaches they read jet, if he goes inside they read belly.  I'm wondering if anyone has the Jet guy stop and go up the hole and block backer?  I know some people slide motion but I want to know if the  jet guy going almost full speed can stop his motion and get in the hole and lead block?  that way the slot back can influence and reach like jet?  

Also does anyone run a basic jet Dive instead of Jet belly?

22 hours ago, coachmot said:

Coaches I'm wondering if there are any other ideas for our Jet Belly.  We've ran it for years and it was a great play for us but I feel like teams have really started shutting it down the last couple years.  I feel like they are reading our slot back.  If he reaches they read jet, if he goes inside they read belly.  I'm wondering if anyone has the Jet guy stop and go up the hole and block backer?  I know some people slide motion but I want to know if the  jet guy going almost full speed can stop his motion and get in the hole and lead block?  that way the slot back can influence and reach like jet?  

Also does anyone run a basic jet Dive instead of Jet belly?

Coach,

Forgot to post this yesterday................................old age!!!

This is a great quick hitter.......................BUT IT IS REVERSE OUT DIVE............WILL NOT WORK AS FRONT OUT DIVE. 

YOU NEED TO "SCRAPE PAINT" OFF THE JOKER WB WITH THE FB

enjoy

oce

A Joker-Ice 32 Base.png

This is actually how we have been running what we call Belly.  The only difference is our FB takes one small side step before attacking the hole.  A couple problems we have had is the inside backer fills the hole so hard that even if my half back makes the block it really plugs things up.  I feel like the inside backer reads my half back on jet motion.  If the halfback reach steps he knows its not belly and if the half back steps inside he knows belly is coming and fills hard. The 2nd problem I've faced is many of our teams are now slanting the DT into A gap and the outside backer or DE into the B gap.  It makes it a very hard for my tackle to kick him out.  

Have you ever seen anyone with success have the jet back stop and be the lead blocker so that they can't read the half back?

I think it'd be pretty tough to run full-speed motion, plant and lead through the hole. I think there would be timing, aiming, and vision issues that could make the Jet as a lead-man more of an issue than an answer. Others are free to disagree with me of course, but that's my two-cents, I'm sure others have done it, I'm sure there's film somewhere proving me wrong. Vision would be my biggest concern, the jetback is running laterally, he is on the OL's asses, he has to be concerned with his timing to plant and turn up, he doesn't have the time to track an LBer through traffic. He's on the LoS when the ball is snapped, the LBer's are taking their read-steps forward by the time he plants. It's messy. I would possibly look into Jet Down, and run the Down-Belly play instead since it's a different angle of departure for the wing, the defense will get a different key than straight-up Belly.  Otherwise I'd search for formations to eliminate tendencies. Reo/Leo would be a good way to adjust it too, I think. Let the jetback do his thing, then you're running Belly away from motion, that could be a tendency-breaker. Go unbalanced with it to give the illusion that Jet's coming without the necessity of the other back blocking. And of course, if they don't defend the formation, jet anyways.  

33 minutes ago, CoachDerz said:

I think it'd be pretty tough to run full-speed motion, plant and lead through the hole. I think there would be timing, aiming, and vision issues that could make the Jet as a lead-man more of an issue than an answer. Others are free to disagree with me of course, but that's my two-cents, I'm sure others have done it, I'm sure there's film somewhere proving me wrong. Vision would be my biggest concern, the jetback is running laterally, he is on the OL's asses, he has to be concerned with his timing to plant and turn up, he doesn't have the time to track an LBer through traffic. He's on the LoS when the ball is snapped, the LBer's are taking their read-steps forward by the time he plants. It's messy. I would possibly look into Jet Down, and run the Down-Belly play instead since it's a different angle of departure for the wing, the defense will get a different key than straight-up Belly.  Otherwise I'd search for formations to eliminate tendencies. Reo/Leo would be a good way to adjust it too, I think. Let the jetback do his thing, then you're running Belly away from motion, that could be a tendency-breaker. Go unbalanced with it to give the illusion that Jet's coming without the necessity of the other back blocking. And of course, if they don't defend the formation, jet anyways.  

Yep

To me it'd be the same thing as regular Down just without the TE, the wing will Down his way to the ILB.  The Jet man can track the corner or the safety (vs. 2-high), whoever is the more immediate threat. You need an answer for the overhang defender. The most obvious one is to crack him since you have the SE out there, leave the corner unblocked (or arc w/ Jetback), the corner ain't gonna be hustling to make a play on Belly anyways. The other answer for me would be to leave the overhang defender unblocked, and have a QB keep off of it. He wants to fold inside and tackle the FB, let him. Our QB will score. 

We use slide motion to kickout the DE with the wing toward a backset and the SE in a snug alignment. Its one of our best plays. We use the same look to run HB toss. Way better block than belly iso/down out of double wing in my experience. Another team in our state does similar with a jet motion and fake. Also great with QB in Gun

• 3 weeks later...

Hey Coach, 

We tried practicing the "jet motion - lead up" a few years back... We didn't like it.  Either the Jet back had to slow down too much (which gave it away) or he was out of control (overran it, etc.).   

I agree that there is probably someone who has done it and made it work, but we just never were able to time it up to the point that we liked it.  

Instead, we just tried to use the fact that WE KNEW the LB was reading our slot to our advantage.  We ran straight dive or trap with jet mo and the Wing "ARC" blocking.  Or we ran jet with the slot folding inside (and the FB leading to the "Force" defender).   Or we would run QB Keep off of the Belly fake if we knew the OLB was reading the fold in block by our slot.  

2 more cents!

I call that motion with a block A or B Gator. We did use it from time to time. That being said; there are several things I want to run really well before I venture into these types of plays. 
Coach Moore use to say I want to run 3-4 thing’s really well before I expand the offense. 
Also, sometimes you give the defense too much credit 

My wife’s favorite quote “Too much sugar for a dime”

oce 

I think they key to belly, weather it's ice or what ever is variety in how you block it and then impower the o line. We sit down and the preseason and se how many ways we can Block belly. Cause we gonna run it. No matter what the defense does. 2 man and 3 man surface. Then we give o line the calls. That's it. We may add a few here and there during the year but we run belly. We work belly period with wings and fb every week. With the calls.