Kickout Blocks on Counter

buckeye7525

We've been really having our guards struggling with their kickout blocks on Counter with regards to their path.  They are really struggling keeping a nice tight path which is allowing the KO guy to play over top of and its nothing I've really ever run into before so I'm struggling with how to fix it.  

Traditionally, I've always taught it as a pull step towards the C's playside toe and then run on that angle, hugging tight to the down blocks/double teams.  Just get on that angle and run, and trap with the correct shoulder (trap right - hit right) 

This year, for what could be a multitude of reasons that isn't working.  

Any tips/coaching points/drill work anyone has that could address this?  

1 hour ago, buckeye7525 said:

We've been really having our guards struggling with their kickout blocks on Counter with regards to their path.  They are really struggling keeping a nice tight path which is allowing the KO guy to play over top of and its nothing I've really ever run into before so I'm struggling with how to fix it.  

Traditionally, I've always taught it as a pull step towards the C's playside toe and then run on that angle, hugging tight to the down blocks/double teams.  Just get on that angle and run, and trap with the correct shoulder (trap right - hit right) 

This year, for what could be a multitude of reasons that isn't working.  

Any tips/coaching points/drill work anyone has that could address this?  

Coach,

A couple questions

1.) Are you talking counter to the 2-line (G-T) or the 3-line (G-T-TE)?

2.) Is this the ctr-trey block; what I call XW (BSG-BST).

wes

3 hours ago, buckeye7525 said:

Coach E, we are running it to a 2-Line surface  and yes it is the Ctr Trey block. 

Well your block "edge" will be over the G or the C. I always ZONE (Zeus) blocked that "edge" to make sure the pulling G did not have a roadblock or bubble to go around. My pulling T was always a butt-crack (on the G) deeper...........so he could go inside or outside the G's block. The running back reads that and go inside or he bounces.

Are you starting every play was a wide DMZ..............I am not sure I understand fully the problem you are having??

Keeping the "edge" from pushing (bubbling) into backfield was always our !st priority.

wes

• 1 month later...