Skills And Drills For Blocking #2

Practice is getting so close we can almost sniff it! Trying to tighten up all loose ends. Our coaches are rightly concerned with individual position techniques. We use the racehorse philosophy and drills and teaching, yet...

Was very impressed with the discussion on stalk blocking techniques, drills and progressions for the SE on this forum. Anybody out there with good advise on this critical block for the jet sweep?

First time running jet sweep and am concerned about technique and specific drills and progressions to teach the frontside wing's block on #2.

Also, while we're at it, how about the technique, rules, drills and progressions for the teaching of the crack block, especially in eagle formation?

"A friend in need is a friend indeed!"

Practice is getting so close we can almost sniff it! Trying to tighten up all loose ends. Our coaches are rightly concerned with individual position techniques. We use the racehorse philosophy and drills and teaching, yet...

Was very impressed with the discussion on stalk blocking techniques, drills and progressions for the SE on this forum. Anybody out there with good advise on this critical block for the jet sweep?

First time running jet sweep and am concerned about technique and specific drills and progressions to teach the frontside wing's block on #2.

Also, while we're at it, how about the technique, rules, drills and progressions for the teaching of the crack block, especially in eagle formation?

Joe These are important a great Questions. In teaching the split end to stalk block I use to teach the mirror drill. First my split end only a yd from defender and prctice shuffling to stay on target. I would then back thecorner up the distance from the split end and practice take off brake down mirroring and finish the block.

I believe the most important teaching in the Jet sweep is the reach block of the tackle, TE or slot. I hear Herman and the young coaches talking about a lead step on a 45 degree angle. My knees are worn out but I used to be a great reach blocker. My first step was a pull step giving ground to gain ground, a cross over and then an adjustment in case the defender makes an inside move. Herman and I argued aboout this all summer and I couldnt demonstrate it good enough. Im am getting a Knee Replacement on Sept 29 and I am going to whip Hermans butt next summer in demonstrations.

Chuck Klausing

Coach Joe,

At Cumberland, we count 1-5 ( you have my book so you know how we count).

On blocking #2, we always pull flat and try to get outside leverage on him

NEVER LET HIM ESCAPE YOUR BLOCK OVER THE TOP!

We like the outside count because it is easy to tell if we are getting an overload. Here is a good rule of thumb:

IF #3 IS WHERE #2 SHOULD BE...GO THE OTHER WAY!

As the defenses in your area get more accustomed to the JET, the tough guy will always be #5 (PS LBer).

We have found thet the more we try to "crack" with outside blockers; the uglier the play gets.....A crack block draws "flies"! Now cracks are OK as you near the goalline and they go to "man"

Outside blockers need to act like pass receivers than blockers....push and only take 1 more step when he breaks down........plus throw the ball from Jet action. Make the secondary play at normal depth.

If you are running Jet from unbalanced sets DO NOT FORGET THE "NUB" JET.....it is a very quick corner. There are a couple good pass routes from jet in Play of the Week this week. from Nashville Hillsboro H.S.

Thanks for the advice guys.

The way I see it, you both advise getting outside leverage is key. Coach Klausing's important readjustment step will probably come out of the chalk it, walk it, run it, rep it routines.

By the way, what coach wouldn't be blessed to have Coach Klausing on that important reach block, even on bad wheels? Best wishes with your surgery coach.

I havent run jet much but .... the block is the same on the toss with the exception #2 might be more aggressive. Remember one play will effect the other....so run the kp off of the jet to keep the defense from cheating - the base kp you run should be designed so it is like a long handoff and you feel confident about its success rate or you wont call it enough. So if you keep the defense off balance (really #2) than your chance for success are greater on the stalk block by the wb.

A great drill for the Wr and the HBs for stalk blocking in their individual period is to have the WR and the HB face each other about 5 yards apart and put a cone behind the Hb about 3 yards back. Now tell the wr he must release off of the Hb and tell the Hb he must stalk the Wr and keep him from reaching the cone 3 yards behind him. This gives a realistic look without using a defense and keeps the Mass teaching techniques because both players are working on fundamentals and you can have 5 of these drills going on at one time - setting them up like shoulder skills.

Excellence Through Execution

Blair Hrovat

WingT.Com

Coach Hrovat,

Now THAT"S what I'm talking about!! What a great drill! Together with Coach Klausing's excellent lead-up mirror drill, gradually adding distance and speed we should be able to give our kids a chance.

Coachs Elrod and Klausing's advise on why and how to get outside leverage is sound advise as well.

I've been studying a coaching video on stalk blocks and like their explaination of how and when to lock on and how to use the hands as "the steering wheel", with the important concept that the legs and feet act as the "motor" that drives the man any way he wants to go. Good advice also on how to stem vs. the coverage, to be in best position to fight their technique.

One question Coach Hrovat: what is the 'kp' you are talking about. Just when I thought truck; sally; joker trap; joker option; waggle; and screen pass would mess with their minds on jet action away...up jumps the 'kp'! cool.gif

I havent run jet much but .... the block is the same on the toss with the exception #2 might be more aggressive. Remember one play will effect the other....so run the kp off of the jet to keep the defense from cheating - the base kp you run should be designed so it is like a long handoff and you feel confident about its success rate or you wont call it enough. So if you keep the defense off balance (really #2) than your chance for success are greater on the stalk block by the wb.

A great drill for the Wr and the HBs for stalk blocking in their individual period is to have the WR and the HB face each other about 5 yards apart and put a cone behind the Hb about 3 yards back. Now tell the wr he must release off of the Hb and tell the Hb he must stalk the Wr and keep him from reaching the cone 3 yards behind him. This gives a realistic look without using a defense and keeps the Mass teaching techniques because both players are working on fundamentals and you can have 5 of these drills going on at one time - setting them up like shoulder skills.

Excellence Through Execution

Blair Hrovat

WingT.Com

Coach Hrovat,

Now THAT"S what I'm talking about!! What a great drill! Together with Coach Klausing's excellent lead-up mirror drill, gradually adding distance and speed we should be able to give our kids a chance.

Coachs Elrod and Klausing's advise on why and how to get outside leverage is sound advise as well.

I've been studying a coaching video on stalk blocks and like their explaination of how and when to lock on and how to use the hands as "the steering wheel", with the important concept that the legs and feet act as the "motor" that drives the man any way he wants to go. Good advice also on how to stem vs. the coverage, to be in best position to fight their technique.

One question Coach Hrovat: what is the 'kp' you are talking about. Just when I thought truck; sally; joker trap; joker option; waggle; and screen pass would mess with their minds on jet action away...up jumps the 'kp'!