Anyone want to help a newbie out? We have been both under center and pistol option team. Looking to make the transition to either wing T UC or Pistol. Where do I start? What series are the most important to have?  I have read that the Buck series is expensive to teach.  That doesn't scare me.  My question would be as a first year team running this offense, what are must have series?

Buck?

Belly?

Down?

Jet vs Rocket?

As an option guy I am a big fan of Midline and Outside Veer. Our kids know those so they would be easy for us to include.  However, the big key is I don't want to do too much too soon.   

Next, what are the best resources for formations and when/how to use them?  I am fine purchasing from Coach Elrod's website, just point me in the right direction.  I just want to run the damn ball!

6 hours ago, TooFast said:

Anyone want to help a newbie out? We have been both under center and pistol option team. Looking to make the transition to either wing T UC or Pistol. Where do I start? What series are the most important to have?  I have read that the Buck series is expensive to teach.  That doesn't scare me.  My question would be as a first year team running this offense, what are must have series?

Buck?

Belly?

Down?

Jet vs Rocket?

As an option guy I am a big fan of Midline and Outside Veer. Our kids know those so they would be easy for us to include.  However, the big key is I don't want to do too much too soon.   

Next, what are the best resources for formations and when/how to use them?  I am fine purchasing from Coach Elrod's website, just point me in the right direction.  I just want to run the damn ball!

Very broad subject. I sent you email with phone #
Call

Wes

Hi Coach,

I agree with Coach Elrod that this is a broad topic.  And in terms of resources, he is the best one you can speak to.  I will add a few other resources that I think are excellent sources of info on the Wing T

Books: Coach Elrod's books (available on here I think).... Tubby Raymond's "An Order of Football" (hard to get)... Denny Creehan's "Wing T A-Z" (2 volume's easy to find)

Websites...

This is a great site and if you go back through the forum history, you can find some great info

National Wing T Clinic  - This is a yearly clinic run by Tom Herman and Dave McDonald and both guys are great resources

Southeast Wing T Clinic - This is run by Roger Holmes (Dublin, GA) and he is an excellent resource too.

In terms of which plays to add... I think it depends on your personnel and what you want to accomplish.

If you have several really good backs that can do a few different thigns... than Buck, Trap, Down are a great 3 play sequence that has some built in answers and allow you to put the DE in conflict.

If you have one stud RB, maybe Belly is a better thing to focus on... Belly has several variations and is a great compliment to run with Rocket 

If you have a FB that is more like another linemen, and your HBs are your better runners, than maybe its best to foucs on Power, CTR

There are so many great ways to attack a defense from this style of offense... as you mentioned in your Post, you have to be careful to not do too much (thus not getting great at anything).  

I think the big keys are to get a handful of plays that look the same and put the defense in conflict in ways that you feel will give you an advantage, that whatever plays you have that you can get your OLine to execute them against all defenses, and that you maximize your personnel with what you do (running QB, style of RBs etc.)

Good Luck

Coach, I'll preface this saying do what Coach E says on the phone call.  There is simply no one better out there when it comes to this offense.  

Here is what we first did when we put this offense in in 2012 with regards to the running game.  

Rocket - Multiple Tags with Blocking Scheme 

Sally - Our Counter 

Belly 

Down 

Trap - To/Opposite Motion

We weren't great, but we scored a touchdown more a game than we did the year before.  

In your case I'd think about cutting the Buck series.  We got to it our second year running the offense and it was a great addition to protect Down (and also motion Buck allowed for some nice conflict with what motion normally mean in our offense).  

What we did use a bunch of was Coach Elrod's formations.  We threw as many as we could for window dressing since we weren't doing a bunch.  

Going back and rethinking it the only thing I'd probably change was our Counter.  Sally was a horrible play for us and allowed some teams to really overplay our motion.  We were a pretty good Rocket/Down/Belly team but didn't have much to make teams play opposite of our motion.