wing t packages

coachmot

Coaches we are a bucksweep team and as you know bucksweep is a very expensive package.  We have also been a jet team but Jet over the last several years has gotten worse and worse for us as teams have figured out how to defend it.  I'm looking to add another package and wondering how you would rank these packages as far as how expensive they are to implement.  With Bucksweep being our base package I cant afford to add another time extensive package.  These are the packages I'm considering out of a double wing look.

Down/Belly with Down sweep and belly sweep

Down/Belly with Down option and belly option

Any advice?

coachmot - both are good packages but I would recommend Belly/Belly Sweep and Down/Down Sweep.  These complimentary plays can all be ran without motion.  Great plays to the Flank without motion. There will be “minor” blocking adjustments on  Belly/Belly Sweep and Down/Down Sweep.  These plays will be a less expensive add versus Belly Option and Down Lption.

23 hours ago, coachmot said:

Coaches we are a bucksweep team and as you know bucksweep is a very expensive package.  We have also been a jet team but Jet over the last several years has gotten worse and worse for us as teams have figured out how to defend it.  I'm looking to add another package and wondering how you would rank these packages as far as how expensive they are to implement.  With Bucksweep being our base package I cant afford to add another time extensive package.  These are the packages I'm considering out of a double wing look.

Down/Belly with Down sweep and belly sweep

Down/Belly with Down option and belly option

Any advice?

Question??

How many formations do you use for your Jet Sweep?

wes

We run a lot of formations.  This last year I would guess we ran jet out of 15 or so different looks.  It was a great play for us for years.  We averaged over 7 yards a carry with jet for 3 straight years.  It’s not a terrible play for us now but we practice it a lot and only run it 3-4 times a game most weeks.  

47 minutes ago, coachmot said:

We run a lot of formations.  This last year I would guess we ran jet out of 15 or so different looks.  It was a great play for us for years.  We averaged over 7 yards a carry with jet for 3 straight years.  It’s not a terrible play for us now but we practice it a lot and only run it 3-4 times a game most weeks.  

Have you tried Rocket? If I had to choose between the 2; it would be Rocket hands down. 
Wider block!

But I think Belly Sweep is best recent add to the hybrid. I quit running Down thus I no little about a no mo Down Sweep. 

oce

We've ran rocket the last couple years.  This year we started running into blitzing corners but they wouldn't do it every time so we were just kind of guessing when to try and pass and when to run the rocket.  We took several plays for loss.  I haven't ran enough rocket to know how to counter all the different things teams do. 

I've heard of some teams that run their jets a little different than us.  They don't run them wide like we have.  They want their jet guy to turn up right outside the tackle.  They pull the guard as a kick out.  Ends up being a lot like a buck sweep.  We try to reach everything and only turn out if we absolutely have to.  These guys quit trying to reach and just kick out.  

The problem we run into is sometimes we have jet guys who can read that block and keep their speed up and either fly outside or dip inside.  But other years we have guys who get indecisive and then they usually make a bad read.  

We didn't run sprintout off of Toss but we did use Toss as a platform for play-action dropback, and it's phenomenal. OL full-slides to the Toss side, with the B-back blocking the backside edge, QB fakes Toss, sets up behind the onside OT. We had 2 route combinations off of it. 

-The first was a 12-yard comeback by #1, the #2 slotback took an outside release to vertical seam, the backside receiver ran a crosser, and the A-back in motion for Toss ran to the flat, he was both the hot route vs. onside pressure and the checkdown.  We wanted to hit the vertical seam vs. safety movement. The backside receiver could run an inside stem to a vertical on the hash when the backside safety is rolling hard with Toss motion, we called that one from the booth.

-The second route combo we ran off of it was an inside-release post by #1, #2 C-back had an outside release to post, and the A-back running Toss action continued downfield as a wheel route.

We also had a naked off of Toss, which I don't think is great... it's ok... I think you need to run it once or twice a game to keep the defense honest, but I'd rather use a different play as a platform for boots. 

It seems to be a common perception that the Buck Sweep is too “expense” to have in your offense.  Here are my thoughts:

I consider the sweep as training for the entire offense which requires trapping, wrapping and down blocking.  This is true in any “gap” scheme offense .   All of my linemen are trained like guards.  Once they have the skills listed above, it’s all plug and play regardless of the series or plays we are running.  I don’t mind that folks are afraid to invest in it because I don’t like defending it.

On 12/22/2023 at 9:47 AM, tomjobst said:

It seems to be a common perception that the Buck Sweep is too “expense” to have in your offense.  Here are my thoughts:

I consider the sweep as training for the entire offense which requires trapping, wrapping and down blocking.  This is true in any “gap” scheme offense .   All of my linemen are trained like guards.  Once they have the skills listed above, it’s all plug and play regardless of the series or plays we are running.  I don’t mind that folks are afraid to invest in it because I don’t like defending it.

Coaches,

Might best listen to Tom! I have been looking at the wing "O" for many years. Tom runs the best Buck Sweep of any coach that I have ever been associated with.

I have watched many of his films these past 3-4 years; he is definitely a Buck Sweep master.

oce