SHORT YARDAGE!!!

Wes Elrod

Some of you DO NOT have that (1) play to get that crucial yardage.............play after play.

This Tiger East / West series is  IMO the very Best to employ.

This is an oldie but goodie..............it is the 1950's old-timey T formation "inside belly"

Attached is the BASE PLAY......................THE BLAST w A TUFF dbl-team.

I am going to discuss this for the next several posts................WHY? Hell you need a great "get that damn yardage" play. Many of you do not have that

enjoy

oce.

*note - Donation process to keep jetsweep afloat is doing well, but Need some more interest. This is only way to measure true interest.

Blast 44 Tuff (1).png

First Nuts and Bolts............................this is the first fine points that make this play a MUST for you offense.

*note - this is just not for red zone or that  big big short yard you need. This is for all over field on any down.

IF YOU DO NOT HAVE THIS IN OFFENSE.........................ADD IT!!

OCE

Blast 44 Tuff (2).png

On 6/15/2022 at 3:41 PM, Wes Elrod said:

Some of you DO NOT have that (1) play to get that crucial yardage.............play after play.

This Tiger East / West series is  IMO the very Best to employ.

This is an oldie but goodie..............it is the 1950's old-timey T formation "inside belly"

Attached is the BASE PLAY......................THE BLAST w A TUFF dbl-team.

I am going to discuss this for the next several posts................WHY? Hell you need a great "get that damn yardage" play. Many of you do not have that

enjoy

oce.

*note - Donation process to keep jetsweep afloat is doing well, but Need some more interest. This is only way to measure true interest.

Blast 44 Tuff (1).png

Is this a double dive type play?

Yes I suppose. It is the old “inside belly action” from the old T-Formation playbook  

BUT the things that makes it cook is:

1. The East/ West unbalanced look is another formation that your opponent must defend. It is not an easy meld into your defense strategy for the hybrid wing.

2. You NEVER know how opponent will line up THUS I am going to give you a very generic way to block all looks. It is coming.  

3. The Blast is just 1 part of this series. 

More to follow……

oce 

The TUFF-MAN Block 

The 4-line surface (unbalanced) EAST / WEST presents your opponent with alignment problems BUT it also presents YOU with an alignment problem

YOU WILL NEVER KNOW HOW THEY PLAN ON DEFENDING YOU!............Thus the GENERIC BLOCK!

TUFF - My name for (2) Tackle Dbl-Team. They will TUFF IN or TUFF OUT. Inside Tackle will make the call.

Man - Inside Gap n/t Over n/t LBer. 

1.) Tackles will TUFF*

2.) All other linemen will Man block

* only scenario that will alter this block is both T's covered (see # 4 0). This rarely happens!

Next Blast Post will give coach point on each position

Blast 44 Tuff (3).png

OK Lets finish the Blast Play and Block...................

BSE - You may want to sub at this position with a bigger, better blocker. End will simply pass block; drop inside foot. GUARD THE BACKDOOR!

BSG - COVERED -  Stalemate this defender; head inside. UNCOVERED - Block area GUARD THE BACKDOOR!

C - Man Block

PSG - Man Block

PSIT - TUFF Block

PSOT - TUFF Block

TE - Block # 1

QB - Front Out, quick fake to the FB; then hand off to the Blast Half Back............Fake Keep action

FB - Straight Dive fake to the B gap; Scrap paint off PSG's block. Draw atttention from the PS LBer.

PSHB - Lead block through C or D gap; IF a "Hot 2"; he must be blocked.

BSHB - Run through FB's heel, receive handoff from QB.............RUN THE TUFF!

OCE

STILL NEED SOME DONATION HELP FOR JETSWEEP.COM 

DONATE BUTTON ( at the bottom of page)

Blast 44 Tuff (1)x.png

OK...........we have covered the BLAST.

Lets look at the next logical piece - THE FB DIVE w/ MAN BLOCKING

This is simply the QB fronting out and give to FB on straight DIVE at the B gap; then fake to Blast back over the top.

COACH POINT - Cheat your PS HB up and try to get in front of the FB

enjoy

oce

Dive 32 Man.png

1 hour ago, Wes Elrod said:

OK...........we have covered the BLAST.

Lets look at the next logical piece - THE FB DIVE w/ MAN BLOCKING

This is simply the QB fronting out and give to FB on straight DIVE at the B gap; then fake to Blast back over the top.

COACH POINT - Cheat your PS HB up and try to get in front of the FB

enjoy

oce

Dive 32 Man.png

Dive may be the most under utilized play in football, you wouldn't block the backside 3/4i?

24 minutes ago, CoachSpencer82 said:

Dive may be the most under utilized play in football, you wouldn't block the backside 3/4i?

Yes...............made mistake drawing blocks. It happens on paper and on grass.

oce

Lets look at the 3rd piece of the EAST / WEST - TIGER SERIES..............................The SISSORS or CROSS

First the Block set-up

1. You never know how they will align vs EAST / WEST..............I mean NEVER

2. However in "edge" blocking; the fact that the INSIDE TACKLE is a "NO-HOLER" (as Coach Moore use to say) gives you an absolute ALWAYS. 

THERE WILL ALWAYS BE A DOWN LINEMAN ON ONE OF THE TACKLES..............thus the dbl-team is there!

1. If on outside tackle - It is a TEAM call ( TE & T )

2. If on inside tackle - It is a TUFF call ( OT & IT )

3. BSG (X) will pull and block out beyond the 4 "edge"

4. BSTE (J) will pull and "swab" the hole.

Now the blocks for C, PSG, and maybe IT (on TEAM call dbl-team)...............these blocker can use MAN or DOWN rule.

OCE

Sissors 44 XJ (1).png

This past season we added this short yardage package for the first time & it was a HUGE factor. One thing that helped us was sprinting to the ball out of the huddle & not giving the defense a chance to get comfortable (we play a lot of teams that play strong side/weak side defenders). We would alternate between East & West multiple times throughout the game. FB dive was very good to us as teams tried to read our Blast back (he was our best player), so sometimes I would send our Blast back away from the play when we ran the FB dive.

OK lets finish Sissors (or whatever you want to call it) . * note I will include link to a video of this play.

I think that you can just give your Center a basic rule of Over, Backside and all others can Man block. THERE WILL ALWAYS BE A DBL-TEAM TARGET OVER THE INSIDE OR OUTSIDE TACKLE..................ALWAYS. With the tight line splits and the QB hiding the ball; this can be a SUPER add to the EAST / WEST attack.

When you pop the EAST / WEST stuff into your normal hybrid wing attack - YOU CAUSE PROBLEMS TO YOUR OPPONENT.

LEWIS CO TN SISSORS

Sissors 44 XJ Blue (2).png

Got a couple messages that indicated confusion as to the I and O and the T and O designation on the over tackles.

Diagram 1 - The I and O is simply INSIDE & OUTSIDE Tackles..................thats it!

Diagram 2 - The T and O are Block Letters + Color designations also for blocks.

The versatility of the block calling and play calling systems + formations is shown in the bottom diagrams

Diagram 2a - This is a regular old A Jet 28 with an OT block or what I call an OTTO...........the OTTO tag is remembered better and it sounds cool!

Diagram 2b - This is a short-mo Rocket 48 with a T- Orange block; just like a G Tan but a bit wider.

*note - You could do a shift from TIGER..............blending this with the heavy Blast attack might give you a very thin flank.

enjoy

oce

Inside Outside Tackle.png

YOU NEED A PASS........................HERE IS A POSSIBILITY TO THE 4-LINE

The "HOT" is the primary....................the flair or flat route by set HB is a YOUR CALL. I have thrown the HOT but never to the set HB.

Last part of this will be stuff back to the 2-line or "nub'

oce

Tuff Hot Pass.png

OK.........Lets finish this bad boy up.

Remember...........you must stay Generic with your blocking with unbalanced (YOU NEVER KNOW HOW THEY WILL ALIGN)

MAN BLOCK THE 4-LINE; BASE BLOCK THE 2-LINE = GENERIC

We have given (4) things to the 4-line

1.) Blast

2.) FB Dive

3.) Sissors

4.) Hot Pass

When you catch them overplaying the 4-line side AND they will!!

GO TO THE 2-LINE🌟

HERE IS THE BEST AND CHEAPEST THING YOU CAN DO..........................THE BELLY

*NOTE - There is also a simple, cheap add to this.............fake the Belly and OPTION # 2 (OC)

oce

Belly 33 Base.png

On 6/30/2022 at 9:06 AM, Wes Elrod said:

YOU NEED A PASS........................HERE IS A POSSIBILITY TO THE 4-LINE

The "HOT" is the primary....................the flair or flat route by set HB is a YOUR CALL. I have thrown the HOT but never to the set HB.

Last part of this will be stuff back to the 2-line or "nub'

oce

Tuff Hot Pass.png

OK, here is my last piece..............now I hesitate a bit as it is something that came along at the end of my coaching career.............THE BELLY SWEEP.   I only ran it sparingly.

BUT if I were still coaching and had to choose a no-motion sweep. Buck Sweep, Power Sweep, or Belly Sweep. IT WOULD BE BELLY SWEEP hands down. Coaches this needs to be part of your offense; simply as it is based off the Hybrid King Play - THE BELLY and it can be run to any surface........ALL OF THEM!

The Belly Sweep can be a GX or X Base block.............in this case to the "nub"...............X Base IMO is best.

Again you are GENERIC. You are Base to the 2-line side and your are Man to the 4-line (sans pulling BSG - X)

Coach Points

1.) Hard part is that FB track off quick fake from QB. simply tell him "Be behind that BSG with a Hard Fake"

2.) IMO, PSHB should go outside PS TE to block PS LBer

3.) QB needs to boot away hard

oce

*note I will summarize all in last post...............

Belly Sweep 49 X Base.png

LETS SUMMARIZE...............

First - The "legal" Formation call should be EAST / WEST TIGER................but TIGER EAST / WEST just sounds better IMO (LOL). When you make TIGER call on sideline; all know we are going unbalanced and any personnel changes can head to the field.

THE BLIVET - "10 LBS OF CRAP IN A 5 LB SACK"

MAJOR POINT - If you run this stuff 30-40 times a game; they will defend you quite effectively, but if you only POP it into your game play calling maybe 7-8 times. You enhance the formation BLIVET (see above) quite a bit. This gives your opponent "D" coordinator something he really does not want to put into his game "D" plan. Flipping from East to West makes it worse + attacking from every "edge" makes it even worser LOL.

THE PACKAGE

TO THE 4-LINE

1.) Blast

2.) FB Dive

3.) Sissors (add later)

4.) Hot Pass

TO THE 2-LINE

1.) Belly (perhaps add Belly Option later)

2.) Belly Sweep to "nub" (add later)

Like to hear comments......................

oce

Heard JJ Watts comment on toughest thing to STOP   
I was the UC QB sneak; yet some folks will snap the ball back 4 yds and then into the middle of the “D”. He simply laughed and indicated it was DUMB. I 💯 agree!!

If you are are running any offense and do not have this “bad boy” in your attack. You are leaving money on the table. 
1. Heavy unbalanced gives “D’s” real problems. Something they will have to work on that is outside the norm. They will screw up!

2. Your disadvantage is….. You will NEVER know how they will align versus you  THUS you need a GENERIC block It Is described in this presentation  

3 You will love it…. Guaranteed!

oce