Buck Belly

coachmot

25 minutes ago, coachmot said:

Does anyone run Buck Belly as opposed to Buck Trap?  Teams have gotten better and better at stopping our trap.  I'm wondering if Belly if an option that could change it up.

Im not familiar with Buck Belly, but we run bellysweep strong and weak with our old buck sweep blocking. I think it holds the LB better and Belly is a much more consistent play for us than trap.

I just made buck belly up.  What I mean is instead of running trap and faking sweep does anyone run belly and then fake sweep?  To the TE/Wing side.  Im wondering if anyone finds belly to the TE wing Side better than trap to the TE wing side and if Belly actually helps the sweep.  It sound like you think belly helps the sweep more than trap does?

10 minutes ago, coachmot said:

I just made buck belly up.  What I mean is instead of running trap and faking sweep does anyone run belly and then fake sweep?  To the TE/Wing side.  Im wondering if anyone finds belly to the TE wing Side better than trap to the TE wing side and if Belly actually helps the sweep.  It sound like you think belly helps the sweep more than trap does?

We have used a Bellysweep fake after no motion Bellys, but it didnt seem to make a difference because of the late handoff. If we want influence on Belly we use Rocket motion but we run plenty of no-mo belly to keep teams honest against no motion.

Belly has been more consistent for us than Trap and Trap is also a more expensive core play in my opinion. When we run it we use Rocket motion instead of Buck action.

In my experience the LB has to sit longer on a Belly fake than a Trap fake.

21 hours ago, CoachHG said:

We have used a Bellysweep fake after no motion Bellys, but it didnt seem to make a difference because of the late handoff. If we want influence on Belly we use Rocket motion but we run plenty of no-mo belly to keep teams honest against no motion.

Belly has been more consistent for us than Trap and Trap is also a more expensive core play in my opinion. When we run it we use Rocket motion instead of Buck action.

In my experience the LB has to sit longer on a Belly fake than a Trap fake.

This is another alternative Ive come across that Ive been meaning to try with QB reversing out like belly weak and running Jab FB sweep to the TE wing.

image.png.00e05084290177826d4241dc851f7986.png

• 4 weeks later...

We ran a belly sweep back in the day ... out of tradition 100 formation. The dive back would lead, fb was the ball carrier, and the Wing would 3 step motion and after the give, our QB would fake a sweep hand off. It was important to get his back to the defense so they could not see the "ball" not being handed off. 

Our QB at the time was a great leader, but ran like he had swim flippers on,  so we figured this was a better alternative to running the option.

One of the keys to getting the sweep action to work was forcing them to fake rather than watch the ball. Read an article a while back that said, if you want your players to fake, coach them to fake, run faking drills and enforce the good behavior (the faking) and punish the bad behavior (the not faking). But just telling them to fake, or not coaching it up is the biggest issue. 

If you can get a hold or mid 2000's Bellevue (WA) film, they do a great job of faking. 

If you're more of a traditionalist, run the option. It's a double option, so you're not scrapping the Wing-t in lieu of teaching a whole new offense. The wing-t works because every series has 3 points of attack to force to defense to spread out too thin. They may cover one aspect, maybe two, but that defense has to be pretty fantastic to cover all 3. 

Good luck, Coach.

Metz

• 8 months later...
On 1/21/2021 at 4:26 PM, CoachHG said:

This is another alternative Ive come across that Ive been meaning to try with QB reversing out like belly weak and running Jab FB sweep to the TE wing.

image.png.00e05084290177826d4241dc851f7986.png

We did this some back in the spring, I liked it a lot.  We ran buck mostly from the gun, but FB was our best dude, so we ran buck like this from under center also, I had the FB line up just step or so deeper when we ran this.

• 3 weeks later...

Coaches

Give this link a try. This is Belly sweep with a GX blocking scheme and we even do it with a zone scheme as well. Especially if we see Double 1 techs.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1oMbHJDfa-T65bV7p59-EX-gebYqEibXo/view?usp=sharing

Hope it helps

Coach Wright

On 11/10/2021 at 1:10 PM, Karjaw said:

Coaches

Give this link a try. This is Belly sweep with a GX blocking scheme and we even do it with a zone scheme as well. Especially if we see Double 1 techs.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1oMbHJDfa-T65bV7p59-EX-gebYqEibXo/view?usp=sharing

Hope it helps

Coach Wright

Coach, if you run Belly Sweep like this is there really any reason to run Bucksweep as well, considering they are both blocked the Same?  

• 7 months later...
On 11/17/2021 at 1:21 PM, buckeye7525 said:

Coach, if you run Belly Sweep like this is there really any reason to run Bucksweep as well, considering they are both blocked the Same?  

We mainly run buck from gun, but was thinking about doing this from under center as one of our no motion/first sound plays.  We use a lot of jet motion when under center.