Sprint out Pass question

coachmot

Coaches, we currently run the Bruce Cobleigh sprint out system.  It has worked really well for us for the most part.  We currently have our QB reverse pivot and then sprint.  Im wondering if any of you have your QB just open up and sprint?  In 7 on 7 we played with it and it was much easier for the QB to throw the ball quickly to the jet guy 1 yard deep.   it seems like when we reverse pivot that guy is too far out there by the time he gets his head turned.  The problem we had with just opening up is with the FBs block on the DE.   when the QB reverses it gives the FB time to get to the edge and either log or kick the DE.  Can anyone help me with this?

For whatever it's worth here's my two cents: Offset FB to the sprint side, or sprint to a wing who can log if the FB can't.  Two-man bunch (Wave) was a formation we used with this, or sets where our wing was ineligible.  We also would go Raven/Eagle and have our inside ineligible WR lined up in Nasty, he has a great angle on the DE/OLB.  This was our favourite way to do it.  We never reverse-pivoted on sprintout.  For us, sprintout was supposed to get to the edge NOW.  The reverse pivot on keep pass or belly option was something we did to freeze the backers, it has merit but on sprintout we wanted our QB's eyes downfield.  The read is much clearer than if he were to reverse pivot and then look at the coverage. 

We’ve used both Jet Bunch (where we reverse pivot) and a no motion Sprint game (where we front out).  In Jet Bunch, we don’t usually get the edge…it usually ends up being more of a half roll and we do have receivers coming open - it works.  In the Sprint game, we get the edge more…and it provides another no motion way to attack the flank.  I’m generally comfortable having both, but I understand that you might need/want to choose one or the other.

• 1 year later...