Million Dollar Question

coachmcg

We are a single wing team.  Our blocking schemes are Wing-T just add a blocking back.  We run Power, Counter, Trap Strong and Weak, Iso/Belly, our Strong side sweep is blocked like Jet and our weak side sweep is blocked like Belly Sweep.  We mainly run from a 3 man surface, Northern Ray but to the strong side is a OT and the TE is on the weak side.

TE  QG  C   PG  IT   OT              SE

BB      WB

TB        FB

We have really good backs, but our OL is extremely average.  Only having one wing really limits what we can do with our formations and defenses get really comfortable lining up to us..  To win a state championship we are going to have to run some option and use multiple formations.  Most of our players play both ways.  We practice offense for 1 hour and defense for 1 hour.

I think we have 2 options:  Put in an under center package and add Bama, Miami and Tide to the existing plays.  OR   Put in a Gun Wing-T Jet package (Wildcat) and run some Spread Option type stuff.  Power Read, Read the backside DE on Counter, Speed Option.  The Gun Wing-T stuff would be easier to install and rep.  Having 2 wings and the ability to spread out the TE would give us multiple formations and we would keep the blocking back instead of having a Tail Back in the backfield.

SE                  OT  OG  C  OG  OT   TE

WB                      BB              WB

QB

I would prefer to go under center because of the traditional option stuff but I'm not sure if I can get that and  our Single Wing stuff in one hour of practice..

What would you guys do in my situation?

Funny - we are an undercenter double wing team who likes to use unbalanced formations like the tackle over you initially showed.  We are thinking about going to some single wing at times to gain the plus one blocker.  We have done it before a little bit.  For us its an easy add on b/c we can run the entire straight series since our power, sweep etc. wouldnt change too much.  Weakside sweep would be one play we would have to add.  I think it might be hard though going under center and running option and running a good single wing.  But to go direct snap double wing and maybe doing some other formations in your single wing to get what you are looking for without changing as much.  Just a thought

14 hours ago, coachmcg said:

We are a single wing team.  Our blocking schemes are Wing-T just add a blocking back.  We run Power, Counter, Trap Strong and Weak, Iso/Belly, our Strong side sweep is blocked like Jet and our weak side sweep is blocked like Belly Sweep.  We mainly run from a 3 man surface, Northern Ray but to the strong side is a OT and the TE is on the weak side.

TE  QG  C   PG  IT   OT              SE

BB      WB

TB        FB

We have really good backs, but our OL is extremely average.  Only having one wing really limits what we can do with our formations and defenses get really comfortable lining up to us..  To win a state championship we are going to have to run some option and use multiple formations.  Most of our players play both ways.  We practice offense for 1 hour and defense for 1 hour.

I think we have 2 options:  Put in an under center package and add Bama, Miami and Tide to the existing plays.  OR   Put in a Gun Wing-T Jet package (Wildcat) and run some Spread Option type stuff.  Power Read, Read the backside DE on Counter, Speed Option.  The Gun Wing-T stuff would be easier to install and rep.  Having 2 wings and the ability to spread out the TE would give us multiple formations and we would keep the blocking back instead of having a Tail Back in the backfield.

SE                  OT  OG  C  OG  OT   TE

WB                      BB              WB

QB

I would prefer to go under center because of the traditional option stuff but I'm not sure if I can get that and  our Single Wing stuff in one hour of practice..

What would you guys do in my situation?

Question??

Do you flip-flop your line? I see strong side & weak side in your post

I can tell you this very quickly that flipping the line will curtail using multiple formations quite a bit + you will need more linemen. 

I AM NOT A FAN OF FLIP-FLOPPING.

The SWing IMO is an 8-man line / 3 back offense...............now I really like it. But, to combine it with say UC hybrid-wing; you will need a way to sub players. I have thought about this a lot if I were still coaching...............I would have a SW package in my offense. That subbing thing can create a game-time FUBAR if you are not careful.

Hope I do not need to explain FUBAR!! LOL

oce

I’ve seen Tango and Cash, I know what FUBAR means.  We do flip flop the OL.  I would have a formation system that tells them where to go.  The IT would go to the weak side OT and the TE would go to the strength.

We use wrist bands for their blocking rules and calls so I’m not worried about that. 

I’m worried about the under center exchange and QB footwork. 

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/4/2017 at 3:16 PM, coachmcg said:

We have really good backs, but our OL is extremely average.  Only having one wing really limits what we can do with our formations and defenses get really comfortable lining up to us..  To win a state championship we are going to have to run some option and use multiple formations.  

As a SW team we did several things to address the above concerns.  We used several different shifts and formations to keep teams off balance.  The first shift we used was shifting (flip flopping) the offensive line's strength from left to right or vice versa.  We would have the guards line up preshift in their final position and everyone else would shift into the final formation. 

Teams first start to identify that our X is lined up as the TE and vice versa.  We can do several things when this happens.  First, we can have them trade places in a formation when we aren't going to shift.  We could do this several times a game if we wanted to hide tendencies but really, I want to use tendencies.  When a team picks up on the TE/X presnap alignment, we like to run plays on first sound as teams are waiting for us to shift before they get set.  We have caught teams flat footed when they try to do this.

There are other ways to mess with defenses with both change-up formations and shifts to those formations.  We had two other formations that we used with the flip/flop shift:  Over and On. With Over, the TE lines up in his normal position (w/ guards lined up in their post-shift position) and when the Outside and Inside Tackles shift, they cover up the TE to create a four man surface.  With On, the TE lines up in a "TE" position then slides out to a nasty split (3-5 yards outside of the OT) with the X traveling all the way across the formation to align as far outside of the TE as he can draw a defender with him.

We ran some "read" concepts from our spread package as well.  It did help up win a play-off game a few years back but I found that we really didn't need the spread package at all.  We were unbalanced even in our spread so it meant we didn't have to change much.  We did tinker some with a balanced line but really the more we focused on UBSW, the better we did.  The teams that beat us, outscored us meaning we got beat 36-42.  Our philosophy was to try and score 25 or more every game and were able to do that with the exception of one game (our first game that season versus a school from a larger division--a 22-24 loss).