While watching the Stanford (Big power team) game the other night I noticed they were running power with to the TB from the I by pitching him the ball.     I started to think hummmmm can this be done off of motion to a wing especially once teams start selling out to stop rocket.    At first I thought pitching it to the A back and running 2 power.

As I type this wonder if the B back going in motion  and hitting the "2" edge would work too.  We did something similar but handed  the ball off to the b back.   The Delaware guys called it "M" motion.

Thoughts?

22 minutes ago, coachmorris said:

coach we are a huge power team having a hard time picturing what you are describing

Coach here's my 1st thought.  Sorry for the rough drawing, I'm still learning how to use my new Microsoft surface.

rock power.jpg

Coach

That play is a staple of the double wing teams and the QB not only pitches it he leads it.

Coach Wright

super power.  

1 hour ago, Karjaw said:

Coach

That play is a staple of the double wing teams and the QB not only pitches it he leads it.

Coach Wright

I saw a Webinar from Dwayne Alexander and he presented this.  The motion back has to adjust to where he is 1 yard behind the FB and that's it!!  Search all over Glazier and you might find it.

1 hour ago, coachmcg said:

I saw a Webinar from Dwayne Alexander and he presented this.  The motion back has to adjust to where he is 1 yard behind the FB and that's it!!  Search all over Glazier and you might find it.

We ran that a few years ago.  Blocked it like base, ran to the 1/5.  We called it rocket blast.

we run superpower.  I have run a little rocket (a long time ago).  We hurt people with power keep - that way the motion was exactly the same and the QB just ran power. Very good play.

We have practiced a similar play.  What we thought was that if the DE (#1) was going to widen with our motion, that it would be easy to kick him out.  

We found that timing up the motion so that it really looks like rocket was difficult.   I certainly think it could be done, and maybe we gave up on it too soon.  But we would just run our DOWN play (playside Guard pull kick - G Scheme) with the rocket motion behind it and it gave us the same thing.  

I think it would be worth the time to practice something if your HB's were clearly your better ballcarriers and the guys you wanted to be getting the ball in big situations.  If that is the case, then it is important to have ways to get them the ball no matter the DE's reaction.  

What you guy's see stanford doing is what a lot of NFL team's do out of there I -Game which is  a down hill toss were rb is catching it coming forward. Supposedly it hit's quicker you can run it with iso blocking or power it's been around forever when the Giant's had Tiki they ran it a bunch. I think Matt Canada from LSU run's a bunch of it also.

this is exactly what we ran in the mid 90s the qb and left guard basically go through the hole at same time. Coaching point on all pwers hb has to hug dbl and wind back thats where the yardage is

We ran Power with Rocket motion this year. Motion back throttled down 2 yds behind the FB and then came down hill for a handoff. We felt getting deeper allowed the blocks to happen a bit better. We used this play mostly out of endover. Rocket in conjunction with this Power play put the edge in some conflict. 

I personally think that this is trend that will come and go. If you really want to put the edge in a conflict add a RPO with it. I am looking into my new offense and this is going to be my new adventure for the future. What you think about that?

23 hours ago, TWACoachClark said:

I personally think that this is trend that will come and go. If you really want to put the edge in a conflict add a RPO with it. I am looking into my new offense and this is going to be my new adventure for the future. What you think about that?

What trend ?