11 replies to this topic

#1 bhubb

bhubb

All Region

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 123 posts

Posted 09 December 2003 - 10:52 AM

Has anyone run jet with a houston split back set. It appears that jet could be run with a split back leading and a crack by the split-end. I was breaking down our seasons film and noticed the possiblity when charting our fullback offset jet plays. This could open up some other misdirection schemes and some split back iso's also possibly some quick hitting veer/dive option. Any thoughts??

Hubb

#2 coacher

coacher

B-Teamer

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 10 December 2003 - 11:17 AM

Coach - What you're describing is exactly how the Fly Sweep is run. It's basically a variation of 200/800 formation. Nobody really wants to get into a discussion of which came first, the Fly or the Jet but it's all good football. You can lead w/ the frontside RB out of splitback when run sweep, or fake the sweep and run a power belly to the same side, or hit a crossbuck counter. Iso out of one back works as well. You might want to explore the option possibilities also. Mark Speckman, the pioneer of the Fly is an old Wing -T guy himself.

#3 Kipp

Kipp

All Region

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 86 posts
  • Interests:Favorite Play: Outside Veer

Posted 11 December 2003 - 08:27 AM

Do you have the Mark Speckman instructional material? Would you recommend it as an addition to your offensive attack?
Kipp

#4 coacher

coacher

B-Teamer

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 12 December 2003 - 08:18 PM

Coach - I coached the fly for 2 yrs. and I didn't like it all that well in & by itself because philosophically the rest of the offense is predicated off the sweep. We found that if the sweep was'nt working the rest of the plays were too easy to defend. But now if you mix and match it w/ the T you have a pretty powerful package. It all takes time no doubt & some plays work better vs. particular fronts. I do like the jet (same principle as the Fly) but I think the Rocket suits the wing-T game better. Plus anything coming off of the jet can be run off the Rocket as well, in my opinion.

#5 ehsfb2001

ehsfb2001

All Region

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 87 posts

Posted 13 December 2003 - 05:27 PM

What exactly is difference between jet and rocket?

#6 silvercoach

silvercoach

B-Teamer

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 14 December 2003 - 01:17 AM

I have been fortunate enough to be on a staff with a coach who was part of Coach Speckman's staff in the past. The split back fly is a proven offense that is based off the fly sweep. Much the same way that the wing t is based off of the buck sweep. I have seen several wing t teams that have been sucessful even though the buck sweep has been "not as affective". If you think about it, the first play that most defenses try to negate when playing wing t teams, is the bucksweep. The same thing is true for true fly teams. One advantage that the "fly teams" have, is that they can run the fly sweep with 3 different variations. Green Light, Yellow light, and Red light. I have heard some "wing t experts" say that the fly or jet may be a better option, simply because the bucksweep has to be executed with perfection to be successful. The fly sweep is basically your perimeter blockers against the defenses perimeter defenders. My personal oppinion is that the fly sweep combined with the wing t, is a great assest.

Fly teams are very sequential (just like wing t teams). The plays have different names, and slightly different blocking assignments. But, the points of attack and conflicts are almost identical. Split back fly teams do seem to have more diversity in spread formations. They tend to off set the FB more than traditional wing t teams.

I have witnessed true split back fly teams in california that have had great success. Instead of trap, they run "go guard" or "go". They have 2 different versions of belly...... "belly' and "belly guard". They run trap with andoff set FB (strike). They run "veer" and "pitch" as well. I think the split back fly guys are very similar to the "wing t guys", in the way that they try to attack defenses and find the defender with multiple responsiblities.

For us, the ability to run "red light", "green Light', and "yellow light" sweeps, has won us game that we had no business winning (based on personell alone).

The wing t is evolving. Jet sweep, Speed sweep, fly sweep, and rocket sweep, are taking the offense to the next level.

#7 coacher

coacher

B-Teamer

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 14 December 2003 - 06:49 PM

Let's not forget counter to the quick side coach! rolleyes.gif

#8 silvercoach

silvercoach

B-Teamer

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 14 December 2003 - 07:26 PM

And of course..... counter to the quick side smile.gif

#9 Homer J.

Homer J.

B-Teamer

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 11 January 2005 - 10:08 AM

We were a spread team last year (multiple I-power running game), lost a D1 WR and a D2 QB + about 45 lbs. average on the OL. We were looking for an offense that wouldn't ask a whole lot from our OL. We looked at the Bone, Wing-T, Slot-t. Our DC used to coach at a D3 school in Cal. He mentioned the split back Fly Offense, he saw Speckman run it and thought it might be good for us. We ran the fly this year and were very successful with it (we went 6-4 after being predicted 1-9). Won several games we had no business being in.

I'm a Wing-T guy, but I think running both together would give lots of possibilites. My favorite Fly plays are, the Go and Red Light. We ran the power very successfully behind the fly sweep also. This year we're looking at doing more of the Fly out of gun. There are some good looking possibilities from this too.

This is getting too long, so I'll quit for now.

#10 brian94

brian94

Rookie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 15 February 2008 - 07:21 AM

I know the variations of Red light and Green Light, the red light is cut inside and the green light is outside the reciever. Could someone explain the yellow light?

Also, does anybody incorporate a TE into the split back fly series?

And, what are some of the formations that it is run out of? Somebody mentioned 200/800 formation?

Thanks

#11 Ted Seay

Ted Seay

Rookie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 26 June 2008 - 09:23 AM

QUOTE (brian94 @ Feb 15 2008, 03:21 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I know the variations of Red light and Green Light, the red light is cut inside and the green light is outside the reciever. Could someone explain the yellow light?

Also, does anybody incorporate a TE into the split back fly series?

And, what are some of the formations that it is run out of? Somebody mentioned 200/800 formation?

Thanks

Coach: Yellow Light Fly Sweep involves the sweeper reading the butt of the EMLOS blocker (usually a TE) -- if the butt swings outside where the sweeper can't see it, he continues outside on the sweep; but "if you see the butt, cut it up." This is a lot like the old Lombardi sweep, where the Y end would pass-set on the Sam backer and the sweeper would cut off Y's block, making Sam wrong no matter what he did.

And as you can see above, Speckman and the classic Fly teams definitely include a TE in their design.

Finally, as a previous poster noted, 200/800 is a Fly formation possibility -- but so is Pro split backs, and even Red/Blue. George Crace runs a great "Flying Wing-T" one-back Fly system in Oregon out of several Wing-T formations, including Red/Blue.

Regards,

Ted Seay
Vienna, Austria

#12 JetCat

JetCat

Varsity

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 20 November 2009 - 01:25 PM

What do you call the two back formation and could you show the base ?