Wes Elrod

MVP

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,054 posts
  • Interests:Grandkids, Golf, Football,and beach condo at Orange Beach, AL

Posted 10 November 2003 - 07:17 AM

from GerryB
We played a non-league rival from a higher divsion tonight. We played well offensively but lost 34 - 25. We scored on the first (Jet G) and fifth (Jet Ice) plays of the game and had 430 yards total. The opponent couldn't adjust their 6-2 to the many formation jet offense. They burned four time outs blink.gif just to reset their alignment after we broke huddle. Our defense couldn't hold though. We lost our center and fullback early but the kids kept at it.

I have reprinted this post in the jet sweep section because it says it all......There are 3 real secrets to success with the Jet and its companion plays: (Here they are again)

1.) Formations
2.) Formations
3.) Formations

A friend of mine (still coaching in HS) got our Jet stuff for his HS team this year; because he had great speed in his skill players. Recently in game for the region championship (he was 7-1 and team he was playing was 8-0) his team had 600+ yds rushing. That is a first for me! This game was between 2 good Tennessee 5A teams (largest class). 8-0 team is a perennial power but could not line up right against the 6 formations he employed and the Jet went wild. He won by 30+ points in an one-sided match.....never close!
However.......his team lost to a really good team this week (he had 17 point lead going into 2nd Half but had 2 scores called back for penalties and his defense got porous vs the run).
This team has great speed...very poor lineman and an average defense.......There offense was awesome due to one thing THE JETS.
"Your players will NEVER remember all that you tell them, but they WILL ALWAYS remember how you made them feel"...................... oce

#2 Chuck Klausing

Chuck Klausing

All State

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 130 posts

Posted 10 November 2003 - 07:40 AM

QUOTE (Wes Elrod @ Nov 10 2003, 08:17 AM)
from GerryB
We played a non-league rival from a higher divsion tonight. We played well offensively but lost 34 - 25. We scored on the first (Jet G) and fifth (Jet Ice) plays of the game and had 430 yards total. The opponent couldn't adjust their 6-2 to the many formation jet offense. They burned four time outs blink.gif just to reset their alignment after we broke huddle. Our defense couldn't hold though. We lost our center and fullback early but the kids kept at it.

I have reprinted this post in the jet sweep section because it says it all......There are 3 real secrets to success with the Jet and its companion plays: (Here they are again)

1.) Formations
2.) Formations
3.) Formations

A friend of mine (still coaching in HS) got our Jet stuff for his HS team this year; because he had great speed in his skill players. Recently in game for the region championship (he was 7-1 and team he was playing was 8-0) his team had 600+ yds rushing. That is a first for me! This game was between 2 good Tennessee 5A teams (largest class). 8-0 team is a perennial power but could not line up right against the 6 formations he employed and the Jet went wild. He won by 30+ points in an one-sided match.....never close!
However.......his team lost to a really good team this week (he had 17 point lead going into 2nd Half but had 2 scores called back for penalties and his defense got porous vs the run).
This team has great speed...very poor lineman and an average defense.......There offense was awesome due to one thing THE JETS.

Wes I also believe the secret to jet success is
1 Formations You have to have a match up of blockers vs defenders.
2. Companion plays. Many will over defend the Jet Sweep and open the companion plays.
3. Develop a passing attack. The jet motion might be the best pass receiver.
Chuck Klausing

#3 Coach J Large

Coach J Large

All American

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 274 posts
  • Interests:Faith, Family & Football!

Posted 10 November 2003 - 08:58 AM

Questions about using multiple formations......

When you jump in and out of different formations, do you use the same personnel, or are you constantly running guys in and out of the huddle..... Also do you limit the plays that you run from unbalanced sets?

This is why I ask.....
We seemed to have a better "flow" when we kept the same personnel, but moved them to dif. spots....

And, We had to limit our plays out of our unbalanced sets, because we just didn't have enough time to rep everything...... Blocking assigments change on certain plays when you go unbalanced and it was too much for our lineman to handle. From unbalanced we ran the Jets, Traps and Reverses.. anything more was too much to handle.... Of course our lineman this year weren't exactly the sharpest knives in the drawer either.....

What Do You Do???

#4 Gerry B

Gerry B

MVP

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 524 posts
  • Interests:Math, Football, Running

Posted 10 November 2003 - 10:34 AM

Last spring I couldn't see how to use many formations. Then I got Coach Elrod's book with the formations & formation keys and blocking calls. Its been an amazing tool. It breaks the seemingly complex into the simple.(Sounds like an infomercial!)

We use the same personnel every play (that's all we have). Yes, our SE and TE needed to learn the others stance and blocking, but that has been a positive for both.

We routinely use 15-25 formations a game, have practiced with 40+ and with the system we can build formations on the fly in a game.

We gave our players the keys the last day of school in the spring to learn. We gave written formation quizzes every day during doubles, after lunch. 100% or no play.

90% of our players are in their first three years of organized football.
Most are non-atheletes. Most are not top - of - the - class academically.
We are a poor defensive team with a below average line.

I now see that formations, formations & formations with Jet leaves defenders playing in space from unaccustomed alignments. That's hard for many HS players.

If we win this saturday the program will have its first winning season in five years. Our 5' 8" 160 lb. FULLBACK was honored as a Boston Globe featured player after 5 games, when he was the state leading scorer in DII.

I just love doing things like "Red Bunch West" to very staid teams; panic in the streets; strong pass one way, strong run the other, what do we do? Burn a timeout! Most teams face us with caution and unease, throwing them back on their heels. We turn that hesitation into points.

Gerry Bilodeau
Boston Latin School

#5 coach iannucci

coach iannucci

All State

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 198 posts

Posted 10 November 2003 - 10:38 AM

Speaking of formations. Iwas watching Nichols State play Texas State. Orginally wanted to see nichols run the triple. However YTexas' whole offense is the speed sweep (FB zone belly fake frontside every time) Great lesson in packaging the jet out of 4 wides with their passing game. They had 400 + yards rushing basically all off the speed and 4 wides.

#6 optionuk

optionuk

B-Teamer

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 10 November 2003 - 11:18 AM

Texas State

Coach - don't suppose you have film of Texas State???????

I would like to get hold of a copy - thanks

#7 Wes Elrod

Wes Elrod

MVP

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,054 posts

Posted 10 November 2003 - 01:49 PM

QUOTE (Coach J Large @ Nov 10 2003, 09:58 AM)
Questions about using multiple formations......

When you jump in and out of different formations, do you use the same personnel, or are you constantly running guys in and out of the huddle.....  Also do you limit the plays that you run from unbalanced sets?

This is why I ask.....
We seemed to have a better "flow" when we kept the same personnel, but moved them to dif. spots....

And, We had to limit our plays out of our unbalanced sets, because we just didn't have enough time to rep everything......  Blocking assigments change on certain plays when you go unbalanced and it was too much for our lineman to handle.  From unbalanced we ran the Jets, Traps and Reverses.. anything more was too much to handle....  Of course our lineman this year weren't exactly the sharpest knives in the drawer either.....

What Do You Do???

[QUOTE]
Only change is exchanging a SE for a TE and you really do not have to do that. Just stand the TE up.
In " Blocking the Edges", unbalance does not effect the blocking.......we are still looking at a particular edge.

An offense has 8 edges.....2 for the center and every other lineman has 1. They exist on the outside edge of the lineman (check it out!). All of my blocking is based on what occurs at the "edge" ( how they align).
Thats it folks! You can change your defense, but the edge never moves, and it is either covered or uncovered.
I am fairly simple minded and have been using this for years behind a variety of offenses ( It is Wing-T based, but it will work with any offense)......so if I can do it . ANYONE CAN!
I think Gerry B in Boston has found out how it workd.......combine "edge" blocking with a multiple formation philosophy and you can have an effective attack

I love his comment "panic in the street".....Red Bunch West is a pretty wild set. We have never run that one!
"Your players will NEVER remember all that you tell them, but they WILL ALWAYS remember how you made them feel"...................... oce

#8 coach em

coach em

B-Teamer

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted 31 October 2007 - 05:16 AM

I know this is a extremely old post, but would anyone be willing to draw Red Bunch West. Unless I misunderstand the terminology, which is quite possible, Red places the TE right with a wing while West places the TE left with ROT over left correct?

Many thanks in advance

#9 white_mike52

white_mike52

All Region

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 74 posts

Posted 31 October 2007 - 06:16 AM

I absolutely love the jet, but if you are going to not imploy many formations, you had better have some studs running the rock.

I was at a HS in VA for 3 years, and we ran jets for 2 of them (after getting Coach E's tapes). I'm a zone guy at heart, so we paired jet and inside zone and had much success in doing so. We ran jet out of the following sets:

Red/Blue
Red/Blue Over (don't know what Coach E calls it)
Eagle/Robin
Cowboy
Empty formations
Compressed versions of all
+/- version of all

Jet's were very good- got lots of misalignments and had good team success with virtually no pass game!

This year, I took a job as a RB coach in DE. Our OC wanted to run jet, but we only ran it out of a few formations (cowboy, red/blue) and it was not nearly as effective. He also didn't run nearly as often as needed to be effective.

Formations
Run it often
Have some decent companion plays ready

Watch the scoreboard light up

#10 samson

samson

All Region

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 84 posts

Posted 05 November 2007 - 01:28 PM

Coach, Do you run the rocket also? Thanks

#11 Wes Elrod

Wes Elrod

MVP

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,054 posts

Posted 06 November 2007 - 12:13 PM

bump

#12 white_mike52

white_mike52

All Region

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 74 posts

Posted 07 November 2007 - 07:44 AM

QUOTE (samson @ Nov 5 2007, 01:28 PM)
Coach, Do you run the rocket also? Thanks

If this was directed to me, we don't this year, but I did when I had success with Coach E's stuff in the past. We had a ton of success off of:

Rocket
Belly w/ Rocket Motion
Belly Pitch
Counter off Rocket
Trap to offset FB (+)(-)
Rocket WB Pass

out of:

Cowboy (+)(-)
Red (+)(-)
Red Over (+)(-)
Robin/Eagle (+)(-)
Empty looks (Red S Bunch)

This year just reinforces the fact that
1) Jet/Rockets is an offense in its own
2) Don't dabble in either...you're 100% in or your 100% out...
3) It's worth the price you pay in practice- timing up these suckers
4) Having speed compounds your effectiveness